Sunday, December 12, 2010

The danger of extended...

bedrest is the complication of overthinking. Bedrest is as much a mental game of keeping right perspective as it is a physical challenge of remembering not to pick anything up heavier than a glass of tea.

Walk around your house one day and see all the things that are heavier than a glass of tea. Here in the South, sweet tea is only slightly heavier. It can really be maddening.

I've spent a lot of time reading blogs, new ones, looking for stimulating conversations. I've noticed that if you put the word "Simple" in your blog title that you earn a certain cachet. I don't know what to think about that. I get that people want their lives to be simplified, but life isn't simple; and the whole social media craze seems utterly complicated to me in one way and another.

It reminds me of a recent commercial where chaos is present on a busy street but no one notices because they are all glued to their phones. And the solution offered is just another phone. Probably a "simple" one.

I've read several articles about the stress of Christmas and not feeling like it is Christmas and wanting Christmas to be simple. Again, with that word. Yet, my inbox is filled with offers for stuffmart stuff. My reader is filled with advice on decorations and events and cool things to add to your day for memory making opportunities with the family. Another contradiction of a less complicated holiday.

Simplification must come down to our choices not the offers.

This is nothing but thinking out loud. Our Christmas this year is by default simplified because of circumstances. Complicated life circumstances. How odd is that?

My stocking this year should read, "It is what it is."

1 comment:

  1. I haven't noticed much about life that's simple, either!

    ReplyDelete