Monday, May 10, 2010

Whoa, Nellie....

it is crispy cold out here on my porch. Thermometer says 48. I love it. Saturday brought in a cold front to these here parts. I hope it will stay about a week or two. Realistically, not so. I'll enjoy it while we have it.

Saturday was unique. I realized in the last few months that God is teaching me a new sense of contentment. If you had asked me before this realization, I would have confidently said that I was content. Not perfectly content, but reasonably content. I would have asserted that was enough this side of heaven.

Then things started happening relationally, financially, spiritually, emotionally. And suddenly reasonable contentment fell short, even when adjusted to my this side of heaven standard.

Refinement begins with anywhere from a whisper to a loud screech. I heard a loud screech. My heart protested. Haven't I all ready learned contentment? Why is this a lesson I have to learn again? And the worst, what is God about to do in my life that I will need to have learned (again) the lesson of contentment?

This syllabus is tough.

Back to Saturday. I had planned an amazing field trip for the boys with a friend. The trip would be four hours round trip but it was going to involve weapons, re-enactments, soldiers, excitement. Mom o'the year I would be. Woo hoo!

Timeline:  Wednesday, the minivan, the brain damaged minivan, went into the shop. Friday, the minivan left shop #1 and proceeded to shop #2, hereafter referred to as ICU. Great. Husband's truck is reserved for work only, not four hour round trips no matter how amazing the field trip. Boo hoo.

And God tailored Saturday this way. I got up early and studied His word. Husband got up early and cooked breakfast for the family. At breakfast, we studied His word together and decided that the day would be not about amazing field trips but about serving together as a family. The two older boys decided and then led a family participation project. Husband needed the deck to be sealed and treated. Chess directed that project, giving each of us a job. I swept, Chairman shop vacced, Husband mixed the chemicals, and each boy sprayed one third of the deck, Pele taking the stairs as well.

Then, Pele directed a Goodwill bag collection. Each family member went through their stuff and filled a large garbage bag of clothes, books, toys, and shoes to be given to Goodwill. When we get the van back, Pele will be in charge of getting those bags to Goodwill.

The boys also pitched in around the house for me in cleaning, organizing, and straightening up. They helped their Dad outside in the yard with mowing, edging, and blowing off the drive.

Unique highlight: we found a black rat snake trapped in some bird netting and performed a reptile rescue.

That night my family took me out for my Mother's Day treat. We never go on the Sunday--the crowds. Sheesh.

Conclusion: Contentment has many forms. Trusting God's providence in every circumstance, the expected and unexpected, is contentment. Seeing God's blessings in my family, of my family, and for my family is contentment. Knowing that His plans are way better than my plans is contentment.

No way do I think the lesson is learned. I'm just not that smart. But I am grateful for Saturday's pop quiz, will have you. Thank you, Lord, for not letting us have the van on Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't we so fortunate that God is such a good patient teacher :0)
    So is your house excited about World Cup or do they prefer playing to watching??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trusting God’s providence in every circumstance, the expected and unexpected, is contentment. Seeing God’s blessings in my family, of my family, and for my family is contentment. Knowing that His plans are way better than my plans is contentment.

    Amen, sister. Amen. Lessons hard learn but seeing the Lord's goodness and grace is well worth the cost.

    And to answer Ellen's question: this house is excited about the World Cup to be sure!

    ReplyDelete