Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thankful Thursday is....

today. But honestly, I am grumpy and not so grateful.

I have a multitude of things and people in my life for which to be grateful, and yet this morning's extra sleep and even fitting in a quick workout all dissipated in a moment of communication confusion, of a breakfast gone awry, of a kitchen now a disaster, of a hasty spur of the moment trip to a collision center that profited nothing, of an unsatisfactory science review that foretells multiple hours of work on what should already be done. What was supposed to be a relaxing catch up day of sleep and housework and schoolwork has morphed into a long line of irritations. With more on the horizon.

The list could go on. But then that would make it Whining Wednesday and not at all Thankful Thursday.

Some would say that this is when I need to dig down deep and think about for what I am grateful. I know those things--family, health, house, car, food in the fridge, clothes, etc. But a Thankfulness Gospel is not The Gospel. Several of those things for which I am thankful are actually the source of my current irritations.

I am a sinner.

I know that on days like this what I am most thankful for is the truth of my salvation and God's forgiveness and mercy towards me. Because no amount of thankfulness for my temporal things can in any way change or add to my inadequately expressed thankfulness for the eternal things God has done for this wretched, undeserving grump I am today.

This is a day of turning to the truths of Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine!/ O what a foretaste of glory divine!/ Heir of salvation, purchase of God,/ Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood./

This is my story and my song on a day where I know the weakness of my flesh and the sin of my heart. Praising my Savior all the day long for what He has done on my behalf is where my thankfulness must lie.

2 comments:

  1. Amen and amen. I'm not grumpy today (not yet) but let's just say I'm sometimes more grump-prone...and funk-prone and pity-prone...that I too struggle with gratitude. This is a good word for me in those times as well as the less than grumpy times! Praising my Savior all the day long, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been grumpy almost every morning... I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete