Saturday, January 7, 2012

Finding delight, Week 1...



I decided to join Leslie of Alabamenagerie in her blogging carnival on Finding Delight in God's Word. In her Bible reading plan she is specifically looking for the word "delight." My study this year is primarily in Acts, Hebrews, and several of the epistles. I am also reading through the Old Testament using Nancy Guthrie's Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament. I'll try to note when the word "delight" comes up, but I suspect that my finding of delight will come more from what delights me in the Word and work of God.


This week I finished up in Hebrews. Reading chapters 11-13 is always that of great conviction and encouragement as I consider the proof of God's amazing faithfulness in the lives of imperfect men and women enabled to live by faith because of Him. From Heb. 11:24-28 on Moses, I found delight in seeing how living by faith did three significant things for Moses.


First, it determined his choices. "He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time." (Heb. 11:25) When you see Christ as more precious than this world's offerings, than you will choose to do in this life that which proves His worthiness and glory.


Second, living by faith sharpened his vision for the unseen but absolutely real future for God's people. "By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw Him who is invisible." (Heb. 11:27) So often when I have felt weary in the work of a Christian walk, it is scripture and its truth-telling of Christ and my promised inheritance that has given me fresh focus to persevere.


Third, to live by faith means that you absolutely recognize your dependence on God. "By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel." (Heb. 11:28) When I consider this story, I think of how odd it must have sounded to sprinkle blood over a doorpost so that the firstborn would not die. But Moses believed God's word and so he did exactly so. As Moses told the Hebrews about this sprinkling of blood, I can imagine that he was thinking how utterly dependent he was upon God keeping His word because there was no other conceivable way for their firstborns to otherwise be saved.


Delight in God's Word this week came for me in seeing how God has enabled me to live by faith. An imperfect woman seeking Him and growing as my options are refined, my vision is sharpened, and I know myself to be utterly dependent upon Him.

3 comments:

  1. Reading through Judges this week made me think about Hebrews 11 because so many of the judges are mentioned there. It was surprising to me some of the names listed (Jephthah in particular), and it struck me that Hebrews 11 is more about God and His work through the faith of these sometimes really disappointing people rather than how wonderful the people in the chapter are. And this is good news for us, because our behavior is really disappointing at times, but it's not about what we bring to the table but the God we put our faith in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle, I am so grateful for the comment you left on my blog today. You blessed me! I will keep those words in my journal, I don't want to forget this:

    "being in God's Word is the monitor over my own heart. How aware am I to the tiniest beeps that it gives off in my life regarding sinful indulgences or careless words? Vigilance is required and desired. That my breathing and pulse would be squarely in Him."

    So true!

    And I read now your own post (how happy I am to see you joining Leslie too!), yes, to find that we can live by faith is truly a reason to find delight in His Word and long to drink more from it.

    Hugs to you today, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is knowing that it is God who enables us to live by faith that brings me such great hope, because I know that I cannot do it in my own strength. I love what you said about the scripture's truth-telling about Christ that gives fresh focus to persevere. Yes!

    ReplyDelete