Sunday, December 21, 2008

James, part IX...

(part VIII is here and the rest of the story can be found under the category James.)

Having been sent home and laughed at by the delivery room nurses, I obstinately set my chin and oversized belly to the task of not returning to the hospital until the child was a'crowning. Reasonable thought at this point in my life was the last possible event.

My contractions continued throughout the 2nd and even intensified, but I refused to call my doctor. By that evening though, I was throwing up and running a fever. Husband persuaded me to call, and when I did she gave me a sound verbal drubbing for not having called sooner. With a fever and throwing up, I had a potential infection. I was to come in Immediately. She called ahead to prepare a room for me and tell the nurses, "No laughing."

Once there I was 4 cm going to 5 cm at every contraction and my water broke all over the nurse who did the exam. Labor progressed steadily through the usual paces. I was able to relax, recite my verses, suck on ice chips and have Husband rub my back. By 1:30 a.m. I was ready to push. Three pushes and James was born.

That was the most glorious moment to see him be born. He was a whopping 9 pounds even and 21 1/2 inches long. A big boy. Off to the nursery with Husband to await some blood tests. Our big prayer because of some Rh incompatibility issues was that James would have my same Rh factor. We had no idea that anything else was an issue.

It was only about 3 hours later when we received the news that James did have my same Rh factor. We were completely thrilled, thinking that God had answered every single prayer regarding the labor and delivery, the blood tests, the date and timing and so on. We spent some quiet hours praising God and believing we had everything well within our control.

This was the calm before the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment