Thursday, October 9, 2008

The gospel is not a choice...

but a command to repent and believe, for the kingdom of heaven is near. (Mt 3:2, 4:17)
By failing to present the gospel as a command to be obeyed we minimize sin, trivialize discipleship, rob God of his glory, and delude some into thinking that all is well with their souls when actually they are without Christ and are perishing. James M. Boice

Frankly, this quote began my study of Romans and overturned my ideas about teaching Romans. I had some initial anxiety about the presentation of election (Rom 8:29, 9:11) and whosoever will (Rom 10:13). The necessary tension of both truths taught in the Bible creates its own tension in the teacher--and the listeners. Listeners tend to latch on to the teaching most comfortable with themselves and block out any attempts to see how both exist, truly. This quote by Boice emphasized the reformed truth that the gospel is God's command. Personally I understood the challenge of the quote to be that I am His servant to present the gospel truthfully as a command, and listeners to the gospel are judged by God in their response to the gospel's truth, either rejection or repentance.

By failing to present the gospel as a command to be obeyed,

We minimize sin: Offering the gospel as a choice rather than a command doesn't properly teach the desperate depravity and lostness of man, or that each one is well-deserving and condemned by God's wrath (Rom 1:18). Instead, the implication is that "you're not so bad after all, so here's the offer and you just come when you're ready. Maybe when you think you're ready to be all religious and stuff, or have your life together, or maybe you'll need to wait until you've mustered up enough faith." Minimizing the truth that each one is completely dead in sin (Eph 2:1) is a cruel lie to those who will certainly perish unless they obey the gospel. (2 Pet 3:7)

Trivializes discipleship: A right and high view of God's great mercy to provide the only solution to man's lost and dead state comes from requiring repentance and belief because it cost Him the precious blood of His Son, Jesus Christ (1 Pet 1:18-19) . A believer that obeys the command does so knowing that in view of such mercy, the only proper response is overwhelming gratitude which in turn bears the fruit of self-denying discipleship rather than the namby-pamby approach of "when I can fit this into my scheduled me-time." (Rom 12:1)

Robs God of His glory: If the gospel is merely one of many choices I can choose, then the power and glory of having come to a faith rest only with me. I can pat myself on the back, thankful that I have enough faith while those other poor sinners don't. Presenting the gospel as a command indicates that God has the right to require of His creation that which they cannot meet or fulfill. Humility before the Lord is to submit and know that only God's grace grants me saving faith to believe and receive (Eph 2:8-9), giving God all the glory for each one He draws to Himself. (Jn 6:37, 44)

Deludes some into thinking that all is well with their souls: Presenting the gospel only as a choice, even one of many, teaches the idea that "since I chose well I am able to continue to choose well, and I'll just be alllll right." But when the gospel is a command to be obeyed, that I know I cannot obey apart from God's grace, (Heb 13:9, Jas 4:6) then not only do I depend upon His grace to be saved but I must also daily depend upon His grace to keep and sanctify me. (Heb 2:11, 1 Thess 5:23)

The difference is significant when you consider what the gospel as a choice teaches and what the gospel as a command requires. Let us be thinking people about the things of God and not relying upon our vain imaginations. Let us glorify God for the riches of His grace to save, sanctify and preserve and not rely upon ourselves.

*I've reposted this from the archives to participate in Rebecca's theme on the Gospel.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful, thought provoking, God exalting post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extremely well said and well thought out, Elle. Thank you for sharing this - I'd never really thought through these implications this clearly of understanding the gospel in this way, and I'm so glad you wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle, this is to well put, thank you for writing it. The last point especially stood out to me--"Deludes some into thinking that all is well with their souls"

    So many people share the gospel as though it is a little extra thing to try to perk up their lives. I really appreciate the clarity you wrote with here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! This is such a great post! I'll just echo those previous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved the study of Romans a couple of years ago, Elle! Thanks for bringing this post out of the archives. It surely deserves a second read...and more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an excellent post, Elle, and I'm glad you brought it out of your archives for us to read again. The Boice quote is so accurate as is your expansion on it.

    ReplyDelete