Sunday, September 21, 2008

Memorization and recitation...

of poems are two things that I had not yet added into our homeschool curriculum. Weekly we work on memorizing Bible verses and the catechism, but I was recently inspired to include some great hymns and poems for their memory work.

Everyday Mommy had a couple lines of this classic posted on her site about a week ago. I was greatly convicted by its truth and knew that this foundation was a base for my boys to build upon.  What greater treasure than that they know God is the first cause of all things, rather than themselves.

In fact, we're memorizing it together. Here is Josiah Conder's hymn from 1836, inspiration taken from John 15:16.
"Tis not that I did choose thee, For, Lord, that could not be;
This heart would still refuse thee, Hadst thou not chosen me.
Thou from the sin that stained me Hast cleansed and set me free;
Of old thou hast ordained me, That I should live to thee.


'Twas sov'reign mercy called me And taught my op'ning mind;
The world had else enthralled me, To heav'nly glories blind.
My heart owns none before thee, For thy rich grace I thirst;
This knowing, if I love thee, Thou must have loved me first.

2 comments:

  1. Love it. This is a great one to memorize and understand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elle. I found your website when you won something or other from Amy Scott at Amy's Humble Musings.

    Thanks for sharing these lines. I love the classic old hymns I was raised on, but I've never heard this one before.

    ReplyDelete