Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Facts vs. feelings...

was a tough call last night, especially considering that the facts were so interwoven with the feelings. I knew that the facts were going to upset others' feelings. I knew that if the feelings were given into, then the facts would expand to affect other people's feelings. I knew that feeling the way that I did, the facts were all that were left for reasonable consideration.

Facts vs. feelings. I went with the facts, trusting that the feelings will follow to support the facts.

FACT: I am sick with a head cold that is probably a mild bronchitis now.
FEELING: Cruddy.

FACT: I am supposed to be with my mom and sister, nephews, and a whole passel of cousins and kissing kin, to kiss the kin for a down home Southern reunion.
FEELING: Cruddy, because I'm not getting to go. See the first fact.

FACT: One definitely, and suspecting the other two, of the boys are also exhibiting similar cold symptoms.
FEELING: Cruddy, that this thing is spreading and obviously contagious.

FACT: Exposing the family, of which many are either young children or elderly aunts and uncles would be a foolhardy and selfish thing to do, only for the sake of feelings.
FEELING: Cruddy because I really, really, really, really wanted to go.

FACT: God has providentially hindered the trip, which cannot be rescheduled.
FEELING: Cruddy sad, and yes, wondering why?

FACT: God is in control regardless of my feelings.
FEELING: Grateful for that fact, no crud about it.

Facts vs. feelings. I must go with the facts. The feelings are intemperate and conditional to whether today I feel bad and tomorrow, I feel good; whether today I feel disappointed and tomorrow, I feel satisfied. No one promised that life would be full of easy and convenient choices, causing me to feel all the more grateful for the fact of God's sovereignty in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I needed this tonight! Fact: I was supposed to be leaving on a business trip to Atlanta GA for four days with my husband tomorrow morning, but without a babysitter, I will not be able to go. Feeling: Cruddy and sad. Fact: We did not get paid for a sale because the client's bank made a mistake and therefore, we do not even have the money to pay for the gas to make the trip (although everything else is paid once we get there). Feeling: Super-duper cruddy.

    I was almost going to have a little pity partyfor myself, but like you, I've realized that God must have His reasons. Although I don't know what they are, I am going to rest in His arms and trust Him, because He knows the future and I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to read this post! I know how much you were looking forward to your trip. I almost called you today then said, "No, they've already left. I'll just see them Sunday." Let me know if you need anything. Hope you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A summer cold is cruddy indeed...may you be blessed with a speedy recovery and may Lysol prevent any further spread of the germs...

    ReplyDelete