Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Returning to Mother's Day weekend...

and it's inevitable story that I promised earlier to detail. 



My family took me camping on Tybee Island for Mother's Day.  Some of you may be groaning, "How's camping a pleasure?"  Camping in a fifth wheel trailer with air conditioning and a pillow top memory foam mattress was a distinct pleasure!  There are clearly defined levels of camping, I've discovered.  Having previously endured tent camping--well, let's just say that I have no ambition to return to that level.  We've been thoroughly spoiled of recent to still have the use of my aunt and uncle's playhouse.  In fact, they had suggested that we take the camper to Tybee.  Thanks muchly!



We arrived early enough on Friday to walk to the beach that evening and watch the sunset.  Saturday morning we woke up early and went right out again to the beach for a few hours.  While part of Tybee was quite crowded, the side of the island we were on featured both the river and ocean sides.  We virtually had the whole place to ourselves.



This is only the third time we've even been able to take the boys to the beach.  We're more typically mountain people, saving both the money and vacation time for that trip.  The lower cost of camping made it entirely possible.  The boys were all out in running through the waves, building sand castles, chasing sea gulls and sandpipers, collecting every shell they could find, digging up ghost crabs, and body surfing in the waves.



I was treated by my guys to a wonderful Paula Deen dinner at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House.  The Wild Georgia Fried Shrimp was definitely my favorite.  That and the honking piece of Key Lime Pie! 



Sunday saw more beach time before we had to head back home to life, reality and laundry.  All in all, it was an amazing and delightful time with my boys, bearing witness to some of the sweetest joys I have been given as a mom.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how we do love the camping. In our 31' air conditioned travel trailer, that is.

    Sounds just magical! Thanks for the vicarious camping trip.

    ReplyDelete