Sunday, January 13, 2013

Light in the shower....

Not long after we moved into our house, nearly 12 years ago now, the light in our shower went out. The original light was not that bright, but you were able to see all the important stuff necessary in the shower experience. I thought. When Husband replaced the light though he put in an outdoor light. Without my knowledge.

The next morning I blearily went in to take my shower. Because of the way the curtain falls, at first I couldn't detect the blazing brightness awaiting me. And then I pulled back the curtain.

Wow! That light was bright. So bright that it took some rapid blinking and much squinting to even be able to start my shower. I considered sunglasses. I wondered if I'd have a headache by the time I was finished. I could feel myself getting tanned.

Then I realized some of the benefits to this bright sunshine light above me. First, there was that stray hair on my right ankle that I always missed while shaving. Not this time. Secondly, even if unfortunately, I could see what corner still needed some bleach and elbow grease. Thirdly, there was no question that I was wide awake, alert to not only the shower but the things that needed taking care of both personally and in household matters.

And if I were a shower singer, this was a light as bright as Broadway for whatever tune I wanted to belt out. But I spared us all. You are welcome.

The other day, our outdoor style shower light went out. Husband replaced it with what we had available from our supply. This light is like the original one. Not bright at all. He warned me that he had to make the change and assured me that if I didn't like it he would get another outdoor light.

The first shower I took under this light felt like I was showering in the dark. I asked him what he thought and he said it was certainly dimmer, but guessed he could get used to it.

But I don't like it. I don't want to get used to it. The brightness was what I needed first thing in the morning. I'm sure I'm missing that hair on my right ankle. Again. And who knows where or what else I'm missing. Is it weird that I don't feel like I get as clean?

I'm still sleepy some mornings when I leave the shower. The brightness demands you wake up, the dimness lulls you into believing the day is not ready to start. And I'm sure the mildew is taking every advantage of the darker atmosphere to creep its way in.

My shower light inconvenience has had me thinking about it's illustration of current world circumstances. Our nation at one time existed under the brightness of God's Word in our founding, in our schools, in our churches, in our social systems, and in our homes. Instead of going out in one great flash though, the brightness has dimmed, and we have become accustomed to the dimness.

Think of what we're missing, think of how the mildew is creeping in, and think of how we are being lulled into a spiritual sleepiness towards the things of God.

We need the bright light of truth to return. It will only return by the people of God saying, "No more!"

What will I do this year as part of saying, "No more!"?



No comments:

Post a Comment