Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs #13...

The assignment is to share about what is my "Mom" help when I need a breather from homeschooling. Plus I'm supposed to share a scripture that gives my spirit a lift in the times of overwhelming.

First, a most significant Mom help in my life is the time before my sons wake up for me to pray, read, and be prepared for the day. It means an earlier bedtime than my night owl habits were used to, but the reward in the morning of not being rushed and aggravated is so very great.

The second Mom help that I've used even before homeschooling is room time. What was naptime when they were babies and toddlers became quiet time when they were preschoolers and has now morphed into room time as they are school age. Since the habit of being in their room either sleeping or playing quietly is well established, requiring them to spend some time alone has proven essential and valuable for all the moods and temperaments of a household otherwise always together.

The boys can read, play a game, draw, rest, listen to a book on tape or music. They are not allowed to roughhouse or swing from the rafters or do anything which would cause water to pour out the light fixtures in the ceiling below. This time is jealously guarded in our house by me as a time to re-focus, restore and re-establish the day's plan if the train went off the rails in the morning. Sometimes I take a nap, read a book or blogs, study, write or watch a taped show. Enjoying a special snack during this time also re-energizes the body and mood.

When people express admiration for "being around your kids all day long" I remind them that I have to take my breaks as well. Getting along with each other during the day is supported by taking time to be alone.

As for the Scripture that encourages me when overwhelmed, is it cheating to say virtually all of the Psalms? I most frequently turn to Psalm 9:10, "Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you," to Psalm 28:6-7, "Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song," and Psalm 119 in totality.

Thanks be to God for the Mom helps He so generously gives in the nurture and instruction of His word.

7 comments:

  1. What a great post. We are working on our "rest time". My son recently gave up napping, and we're working on still having a quiet time.

    Thanks for the encouragement to get up early. I need to do that again. My days are best when I do that, as well.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your scripture. My daughters have "dress-up" time where they go in their room and play dress-up or doll-house while I do the tasks that require a certain level of concentration and silence (like phone calls to utility companies!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elle :) I enjoyed your post so much! I have those night owl tendencies, too, and it does make such a difference going on to bed so that I can get up early.

    Rest time has been such a blessing in our home! We will do this until they all leave home - lol! Blessings, Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post!! I like the way you progressed to `room time` over the years.
    We all need to rest and have quiet at some time during the day. I agree!! As much as I Love being with my family, there are times I just need to get away. Then I come back refreshed and ready to go.
    I like your scriptures. I also enjoy my daily morning time in the WORD. Psalm 119 & Psalm 139 are some of my favorite chapters.
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to tell you-
    Thanks for coming by my blog.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to turn my night owl ways, because I would love to get up earlier! It does make a difference in your day when you take time to start it with Him. :)

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete