Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday was a soccer...

extravaganza. We were at the field from 11:15 until 4:30 cheering on our teams. We had some losses and some wins. The boys are completely and joyfully exhausted for all the excitement of hard fought games.

My favorite part is at the end, not because it's the end but because you can look into those sweaty faces and see their satisfaction for having played hard and fair, whether they walk away with a win or loss in that particular game.

Sometimes games turn ugly when competition takes an aggressive edge and beating the opposing team by skill is forgotten in the emotions of anger. Sometimes the parents lose their perspective and holler out what shouldn't even be whispered. Sometimes the boys forget what they are supposed to do, and the result is disappointing for everyone.

But on the whole, I love being a soccer mom. I love seeing all the boys use their skills for the benefit of a team because soccer is not an individual event. If those 8 guys quit working together, it's a disaster. When they are communicating with one another and sweeping that ball around....well, it's like poetry in motion, visual art.

I love seeing the boys overcome an aggressive pushing, shoving team with more excellent ball control skills. I love seeing them support one another with claps and words of appreciation for an impressive play. I love seeing them learn from one another.

I don't expect that soccer will always be a part of our lives. There are more excellent and eternal things that I desire for my boys to learn and do as they mature. However, for this season, the Lord has given us a sweet family enjoyment where life skills are taught and practiced. The soccer field has its own illustrations of behavior and belief.

I love being a soccer mom.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, the memories of standing on the sidelines!
    Have a wonderful peaceful Sunday Elle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am grateful for soccer and the forging of character it provides. I love this soccer mom season!

    ReplyDelete