Monday, July 16, 2007

The trip, the airport, the security...

(Part III)

Well, it was fast approaching my turn to face the conveyor, bins and scanner party. My ticket of a boarding pass and photo id has so far passed muster but the real test was going to be in the ziploc baggies test.

Because of Lana G.'s excellent travel advice I was prepared with the appropriate size and number of liquid, gel, and aerosol containers in the appropriate size containers in the appropriate ziploc bag. I was oh so appropriate.

Shoes off, socks on, ziploc bag into bin with shoes and jacket, carry on flat on conveyor, personal bag in bin. Check. I was ready.

I walked through the scanner. No beeps. I showed my boarding pass and photo id again. No questions. I waited at the end for my bins and bags to come through. No bins and bags.

The security person was intently watching the screen displaying my carry on bag innards. Backwards and forwards he kept replaying the picture. I'm mentally listing everything in my head thinking did I accidentally pack even one tiny no-no? Did one of the cats climb in without me knowing it? Had the boys mistakenly put a lightsaber in the bag thinking I would need it in Texas?

"Ma'am, is this your bag?"
"Yes, it is."
"Please come with me to the table so I can search it."
"Yes, Ma'am."

Scramble for socks off, shoes on, pick up ziploc bag, put on jacket, pick up carry on. All while watching the carefully packed items be tumbled about in search of the contraband. Please do not let any of the unmentionables fall out, I whispered under my breath.

Then, the culprit was discovered. For in the personal bag I had packed a bag of dry cosmetics, like powder, blush, make up brushes, and my facial soap in a soap dish. Apparently the bar of soap on the x-ray scanner appeared to be perhaps an explosive lump?

Oh well, the extra search sure makes you humble. The lady passed me through, even letting me keep the soap. And for this I was thankful.

I remember very clearly the horror of 9.11. I know exactly where I was when I heard the news. I know that the protective measures that we have had to take since that day are in large part extremely necessary. I know that the people who train to do the job take their work seriously. For all of this I am thankful.

I don't like standing in lines. I don't like having my personal items tumbled about. I don't like being nervous about walking through security. But this is the world we live in, and I pray that while I may attempt to blog about it humorously here, that no one misunderstands my intent of expression.

We live in a fallen world where grievous things have occurred requiring extremity of measures to restrain evil that in truth only God can choose to restrain. I must depend upon Him for my peace, my rest, and my security.

But as far as that airport was concerned, I now also greatly and desperately needed a Starbucks coffee.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I was wondering when Lana G!'s ziploc baggies would play into the saga!

    ReplyDelete