Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My turn to play...

why I love Jesus. Kim at Lifesong (Happy 19th, btw) and Leslie at Lux Venit tagged me for this really precious meme. Anything in word or thought that turns your mind to the adoration of Jesus is an investment of eternal treasure.

From reading the various editions on other blogs, I thought what a valuable study could be made to take each book of the Bible and find five references and reasons for adoration of Jesus. That type of study would teach the attributes of the person of Christ in references of prophecy, evidential works, and fulfillments of prophecy. Looking at the whole counsel of God to see how Christ is active in every book would be a unique undertaking.

However, before I take on that task, I thought I should complete this tag. I decided to take all of my reasons from the book of Hebrews, which is my favorite book of the Bible.

1) Hebrews 1:3 "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven."

There's not much else you can add to that reason. He is the radiance of God's glory. He sustains all things by his word. He provided purification for sins. He sits at the right hand of God because His work was finished.

2) Hebrews 2:14-15 "Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death--that is, the devil--and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death."

What power and condescension to man is expressed in the person of Christ! He shared in my humanity and destroyed the devil, the power of death. This is a lasting promise and treasure.

3) Hebrews 5:8-9 "Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him,"

I love that Jesus perfectly fulfilled all necessary requirements for the sake of those God has given Him. In His fulfillment, He is the only source of eternal salvation.

4) Hebrews 7:25 "Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them."

Not only is He the source of eternal salvation, but He perfectly completes what He has begun in those who come to Him. I love Jesus because He does live to intercede for me. I always have a certain hope and assurance in Jesus.

5) Hebrews 10:7 "Then I said, 'Here I am--it is written about me in the scroll--I have come to do your will, O God.'"

Jesus came to do His Father's will and He has done it, He still does it, and He will finish it in all glory and power and majesty.

Unfortunately the meme rules only allow you five reasons, but Hebrews as only one example contains a multitude of reasons. And what would a meme be if you didn't bend the rules in some way? So I'll just list some other verses and maybe you'll take the time to read them as more reasons to love the Savior. If you do so, then consider yourself tagged.

Hebrews 3:6, 4:14, 8:6, 9:15, 9:28, 12:2, and 13:15.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful list! Hebrews is so expressive of Christ and who He is.

    Thanks for pointing us to scripture...I knew you would do that! : )

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful list! Hebrews is so expressive of Christ and who He is.

    Thanks for pointing us to scripture...I knew you would do that! : )

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this list of verses. Right now I needed to get my eyes off of myself and on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete