Saturday, March 17, 2007

At the Master's Feet:...

A Daily Devotional (Zondervan, 2005).  This quote was posted on Christian Research Net.  This is a blog that has been a blessing to me personally.  When I emailed Pastor Ken Silva and requested information regarding posting the quote here, he graciously responded. 



Henceforth, to do everything that Christ bids you do, in the order in which He bids you do it, to do it at once, to do it joyfully, to do it constantly, to do it prayerfully, to do it thankfully - this shall be the token that He has indeed dealt with you as a pardoning God.



I knew a man once who would not read some parts of the Word of God because they made him feel uneasy; but be you sure of this, that when you and the Word of God fall out, the Word of God has right on its side. There is something rotten in the state of Denmark when you cannot read a chapter without feeling that you wish it was not there. There is something wrong with you whenever you quarrel with the Word of God.



Charles Haddon Spurgeon

2 comments:

  1. I am always very concerned upon confronting someone with a verse in the Bible and they say, "Well, I know it says "that," but I feel like it means "this....to me." Humanism, postmodernism, psychology and relativism continue to wreak havoc in our churches. We have set ourselves up as our own "gods," thus allowing our emotions to dictate what the Word of God states, rather than letting our emotions be governed by what is actually stated in God's Word. Our church pulpits are filled by topical speaking, seeker sensitive, "ear-ticklers," rather than by men who are willing to preach expositorily through the Scriptures. (After all, we need that new children's worship center and we don't really want to make anyone feel "bad" about themselves.... now do we?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Elle and Yay Pat!

    I found myself near tears this morning in church. Our sweet minister was just doing what he always does, taking us, lovingly and firmly, though another 5 verses of scripture. We've been in 1 Timothy since...(checking podcast dates)...last November, with a Sunday off for a delightful Christmas message.

    What had me so worked up was that as I sat under this wonderful, insightful teaching, I was reminded of people I've encountered who won't visit our church more than once or twice when they find that our pastor teaches directly from Scripture, verse by verse, word by word. They want something more "relevant".

    I beg your pardon? More relevant than the very "breathed-out" words of the Creator God?

    There is no such thing.

    I love our church. So much it makes me cry.

    Everywhere I've looked for the last two weeks, I've come across reminders of the primacy of God's Word and the necessity of my giving myself to its teaching DAILY.

    Some of the reminders were sweet and subtle. Some, like this Spurgeon quote, were a 2x4 between the eyes.

    I'm listening, already!

    Bless you, Elle. And thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete